View Single Post
Unread 12/14/2009, 09:00 AM   #2
d2mini
Registered Member

For this build I decided to buy these two American DJ power centers.
They are really inexpensive and will allow me to easily turn on or off any piece of equipment with the flick of a switch instead of searching for a plug and physically unplugging it.

Here's the power centers installed in the stand. I also layed down some cork on the floor and installed a fluorescent grow light on the ceiling.
At first I was just looking for a light that would let me see inside the stand, but then I found this one and I'm wondering if the light will be enough to grow some macro algae in the fuge.
The square on the cork in the back corner is room lighting coming into the stand from the hole that is cut in the top to allow for my plumbing.

You can see how I mounted the power centers.
And I ran a power line from the nearest wall outlet that I tapped into and ran it into the base of the stand and then up the wall and (seen in the previous pic) over to this GFCI outlet.
So this outlet is where all my power comes from and it supplies the two power centers.
Eventually I need to get an electrician in there to run a dedicated circuit,
but it's a biatch to do anything in my house because of the lack of attic space.

AND FINALLY... the piece of the puzzle I've been waiting for... the tank! This is a progress pic i took at SA. Looking great so far and the custom overflow should be pretty cool. It will house the plumbing of course, and the two vortechs. Also has a dry pipe for wiring.
I'll have more pics this week of the custom overflow and of the tank in my house and on the stand.
The second pic shows one bottom corner. It's a 3/4" base! And 1/2" sides. Starphire glass on all 4 sides, regular glass on the bottom.

Meanwhile I got the light fixture. This thing is a tank!
Aqua Photon Plus with 1x250w HQI and 4xT5.

d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote