View Single Post
Unread 02/08/2010, 06:26 PM   #281
dn100
Registered Member

I have had recession of enchinos and oxypora a few months ago , I read this thread found that there was a link to magnesium. Mag test was 1260 using salifert , even tried interceptor still recession. I increased the magnesium to 1400-1450 problem stopped in a week corals started growing new edges by week 2. Gonipora was also closed. A colony of cyphastrea almost completely wiped out . I went over to balling method to allow control of parameters , took a lot of magnesium to raise the level. Just a warning , when doing a water change check magnesium before adding new water to tank. Also noted that using salt free salt at 5mls of 25g/L solution colurs started improving. Current magensium usage on maily LPS mushroom system is 22 ml per day of 250g/L solution. My current theory LPS use far more magnesium than SPS and far more sensitive to low magnesium levels, they then become susceptable to infections. They become sick slowly , then as if they reach a level they start recessing. Since going over to balling method mainly to dose magnesium , corals have recovered, but they have less sweeper tentacles than before, hope this helps

dn100 is offline   Reply With Quote