View Single Post
Unread 01/12/2013, 06:58 PM   #25
m2434
Registered Member

"Going back to the point of boiling, I do not recall if there were any polyps on the rocks. I can tell you I quickly examined them for any life just out of curiosity. I guess I missed something. "

Sorry to hear this, this is awful. No,you didn't necessarily miss a polyp, many organisms , especially algae and even some bacteria, cyano etc.. contain very toxic substances and boiling will vaporize them. Some dinoflagellates have recently been found to even contain s substance almost identical to palytoxin and just because you don't see dinos doesn't mean there aren't some there. Never, ever boil rocks! I don't know how often i need to post this. Boiling does not necessarily remove organics and can even cause further binding to some extent and does not remove phosphate or other metals etc...

It DOES vaporize toxins.

Bleaching rock is the safest and most effective way to remove organics. Muriatic acid the most reliable way to remove phosphate and metals. Period, never any need to risk you life boiling rocks.

Last edited by m2434; 01/12/2013 at 07:06 PM.
m2434 is offline   Reply With Quote