View Single Post
Unread 02/14/2014, 11:31 PM   #86
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
You need to determine where the squeak comes from. Usually it is the brushes.

Pull the pump head. Did the noise go away?
No, next step. Yes, replace the bearings in the pump head. Clean and re-grease rollers. The rollers should be greased with a penetrating grease (not wd40). Once the grease sprays onto the rollers and soaks in it thickens into actual grease. Use synthetic grease.
Pull the gearing. Did the noise go away?
No, next step. Yes, clean and re-grease the gear set. Use synthetic grease.
Replace the brushes.
No, Next step. Yes, crack a beer.
Motor bearings probably need service. Take to motor repair shop or put up with the squeaking. I've got one that looks like it was removed from a trash dump, screams like hell but has been working like that for at least 3 or 4 years 24/7 so I wouldn't worry too much in regards to the pump being faulty.

If you want silent you are better off forking over the cash for a brushless unit.
Don't some of those pumps use a belt drive motor inside the box housing? could be the source of the squeak?

Where do you get said penetrating grease? I've got a pump head that needs re-greased after cleaning. Some salt water got into the pump head after a tube break. wasn't in there long and has been rinsed and dried but I I think it will need re-greased as a lot of the grease wiped off of the roller ends as I was drying it off (hopefully nothing got into the rollers, I'd hate to have to scrap it.....)

zachts is offline   Reply With Quote