View Single Post
Unread 02/24/2008, 02:09 PM   #1
chachijoe75
Registered Member

Skimmer Waste Collection Container

I had to move my skimmer outside of the tank's stand, that meant dealing with the stink of the collection cup. Before I used any empty container or milk jug, but that wasn't to cut it this time. So, I decided to build my own collector following some of the features in brand name collectors and share the process with you.

Materials:
  • Jumbo Kitchen Conitainer - Shopko $9.99
    1" Union - $3.28
    1" Cap - $.28¢
    1" PVC Pipe - $1.79
    T12 Light Tube Guard - $1.30
    3/4" Female adapter - $.28¢
    1 PingPong Ball - $1.39 (4 Balls)
    NPT to match your skimmer cup, I used 3/4"

Tools:
  • 1 1/4 Hole Saw
    9/16 Drill bit
    PVC Glue

Step 1 - Make 2 Holes on the top lid
Place the PVC union and the NPT connector on the top lid to mark the holes. The first hole close to the container lid hinge, this will be for the exhaust. The second hole can be in front of the first. After making the holes, sand the inside until you are able to pass a piece of 1" pipe tightly through it.

Step 2 - Make Exhaust - Carbon Chamber
Cut a 5" piece of 1" PVC pipe, attach it to the NON thread part of the union, make a hole in the PVC cap using the 9/16 drill bit. Do not glue these parts!

This will be used to hold charcoal, use a piece of screen or micro filter felt for the top and bottom parts. This will prevent the charcoal from spilling out.

Step 3 - Attach exhaust and intake parts
Cut a 3" piece of 1" PVC pipe, apply glue to one end and the the thread part of the PVC union. Leave the excess glue, pass it through the hole closest to the hinge. The excess glue will be used to attach the union/pipe to the lid.

Attach the NPT connector to the female adapter and insert through the second lid hole. Apply glue to the inside to seal it. Let the glue set for at least 10 minutes before proceeding with the next step.

Step 4 - Air/Overflow Valve
Cut a 5" piece of the clear tube protection pipe. Apply glue and place it over the exhaust PVC pipe al-ready attached to the lid. The clear pipe is very thin and silicone as a filler between the 2 pipes is also a good idea. Let this set for at least 1 hour. Apply pressure to it, you can set the completed exhaust part on top to apply pressure.

Step 5 - Adding the Floating Ball
After all the glue has dried, insert the Ping Pong ball in the clear tubing and attach the black end cap that came with the clear tubing to keep the ball in the chamber. This will prevent the waste product from overflowing. In the event that the waste liquid level rises, the ball will block the exhaust PVC pipe resulting, if the airway is blocked, then the skimmer will stop producing foam.

Your now ready to attach your new container to the skimmer cup.

So for less than $20 you have built your own waste collection container, enjoy!!!

Check out my new build by clicking in the little red house!

Current Tank Info: 120gal Mixed Reef - Tek 8x54 T5 lighting, Hurricone CAT-2 External Skimmer. ADS CaRx. All controlled by Profilux Plus II Controller
chachijoe75 is offline   Reply With Quote