View Single Post
Unread 07/29/2017, 07:58 PM   #9458
uncleof6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRoofTang View Post
It's going to be impossible to get full flow through a pipe with air trapped up in the top of it."
I do not recall mentioning anything concerning "full flow" in the discussion of the holes in the top of the siphon. My post stated they are unnecessary for the system to function properly, when the system is constructed properly.

Quote:
It has three pipes. I don't know what "discreet pipes" are though.
I don't either. Typos cause confusion quite often. The correct spelling is

"discrete"
adjective:

1. apart or detached from others; separate; distinct.
2. consisting of or characterized by distinct or individual parts; discontinuous.

Quote:
It is based on the principles of a Bean Animal. A copy? No. It DOES work, and it works well.
No, it is not based on the principles of Bean's system that consists of three discrete drain lines. Your system has only two discrete drain lines, therefore the design principle is based on what is termed the Herbie drain system. Despite the fact that the top end of one of the pipes splits in two, the discrete function of those joined pipes cancel each other out, and do not follow the BA design.

Quote:
The original post by Bean Animal says:

"The design criteria:

1) Dead Silent
2) Set and Forget
3) Limit Bubbles in Sump
4) Failsafe to Prevent Floods
5) Easy to Clean if Needed"
Context. You are using information that is out of context with the nature of my post.

Quote:
I have achieved all of these. Testing of my setup has proven it works. It works silently. My intent was never to mimic somebody else, but make something that worked the way *I* wanted it to, and for my needs.
That is fine, but indeed you did mimic countless people that have tried this before. However, this thread is dedicated to one system, and one system only. That is the design published by Bean Animal. There are probably at least a 1000 ways to construct a drain system that "work." A claim that this is the only way to build a drain system has never been made. That is not the point. What you built, is related to the Herbie, (only two discrete pipes.) Your "want" was to only run two pipes to the basement, rather than the three pipes required with a BA. OK, fine. But this is not the first time the joining of the standpipes (whether it is all of them or only two of them) has been brought up. Nor is it the first time, it was criticized.

Quote:
BTW, if you completely closed your siphon line (simulating a 100% blockage), and the open channel took all the flow, it wouldn't keep a siphon for long. If it did, we'd not need a valve in the siphon line to keep it full.
Well first off, if the siphon becomes 100% occluded, the dry emergency takes the flow. If subsequently the dry emergency plugs, the water level rises, and trips the open channel to siphon mode, by occluding the air vent line. At that point the water level would be sufficiently high for the open channel to maintain "siphon" long enough to lower the water level (often pretty quickly due to the head height.) After that, it can only be expected to behave as a Durso that has too much flow in it, because that is exactly what it is.

Again, your system short-circuits the first safety feature, because the dry emergency can only function as an open channel, until water level is high enough to stop the flow of air into both the dry emergency and open channel. It violates the basic safety rule for running siphons: never run a siphon without a dry emergency, exactly in the same way a Herbie with a so called "trickle drain" does. In the end that is all you really have.

As for your dismissal of the single failure point in your system: they said the Titanic could not sink. What were the odds? The engineering was not well thought out enough, and the Titanic is sitting at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean with 1200 souls aboard, 300 pulled from the water the next day. What were the odds of the Challenger exploding shortly after launch, considering the multitude of redundant fail safe/backup systems used?

It is great it works for you; and it is great that it meets your specifications. However, for this thread, it does not meet the specifications; and I have explained why twice now. Bean, myself, and a couple others, have explained it at least a hundred times prior to this. This thread is too assist those wishing to set up a BA system the correct way, and such discussions of system that deviate far from the BA system, only serve to complicate the topic for those that are unfamiliar, and those that know just enough to be "dangerous."

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote