View Single Post
Unread 06/27/2011, 12:28 PM   #2
hebygb
Registered Member

opinions vary on this subject so here are some random approches based on my philosophy.

First and foremost I would probbably opt to not put 150 gallons of water in a box that is very old and I wasnt clear on what happened during those years. This is not a small tank so that means a lot of water... How confident are you that it will hold water and for how long. Most in this hobby move through tanks before failure so its hard to know.

Replace the original trim? This may be hard to do given that it is in your words "a very old tank" and trim would be difficult to procure.

If you go the rimless route... You may be faced with a very "unfinished edge on that glass once the trim is removed. I would plan to eurobrace using a single sheet of glass with access ports cut out. This will give you lots of strength and tidy up a potentially rough top edge. I would also advise on integrated cross braces dividing the top in thirds. The main reason for this is its a very old tank and should it bow... its hard to know what strength is left in those bonds. If the tank starts to bow, there is no telling if the corners could handle the rigor.

again... those are thoughts I would have.

hebygb is offline   Reply With Quote