View Single Post
Unread 11/29/2017, 10:59 PM   #20
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalare View Post
I don't buy this argument. Just because something is bad, does not mean that we should not continue to make an effort to improve. People that drive open jeeps for example have garbage protection and jeeps are notorious for rolling...but it is still recommended to wear a seatbelt.

Once the fish is in our care, it is our responsibility to do all we can to ensure not only their survival but their well being in general. In fact, I would say that if it is in fact true that survival rate from capture to purchase is so dismal, we should go the extra mile to ensure that the fish that do survive continue to do so.
Not entirely sure how to respond since you've completely misconstrued my comments. I wasn't actually 'arguing' that folks should not use screen tops. I clearly note that I do use them. My observation was more amusement about framing the practice of open top tanks in the context of ethics when the entire hobby is one big ethical challenge. That we accept the ethics of keeping these animals in captivity, yet focus on one small element as the 'dilemma' struck me as missing the proverbial forest for the trees. I guess it's a subtle point, and easily missed - or poorly articulated. FWIW, I completely agree with your sentiments.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote