View Single Post
Unread 02/09/2018, 06:10 PM   #10612
SuperCoryD
Registered Member

Smile

Hello-
Anytime I go to research, there's always something on ReefCentral that is helpful. I have joined today because I'm having trouble finding info on my scenario (nothing like joining when there's a "need" huh!) I'm certain my scenario is not unique.
Anyway, been a troll up to this point.
I have a 75 gallon display with a 40 gallon sump with refugium.
I drilled the tank to install a homemade coast to coast overflow.
Homemade auto topoff
Homemade 1" tube stand
Octo 110 skimmer
A knock off 3400 gph wakemaker (works great)
A cheap powerhead
Ecotech Gen 3 light
Dry rock
Live sand
Two clowns.
Tank has been running since 9-17. I know! It's very young. This is a game of patience, right.

I have come to realize that the bacteria-in-a-bottle may be OK for fish, but probably not for establishing a reef. Up to a few weeks ago I would do water changes when the ammonia would rise. Never have seen any nitrites or nitrates. My friend gave me some mushrooms, a couple of hammers and some snails early this year, died. I purchased a torch 3 weeks ago, died. Im coming around to thinking my tank has yet to cycle. I believe the water changes I've been doing has stopped it.
So, two weeks ago I set up a 10 gallon tank (need a quarantine anyway), and put the clowns in it. Then I took a raw shrimp and threw in the 75. Left everything running.
I came home today after two weeks, wife has been maintaining the clowns, to find I finally have nitrates!
About 20 parts nitrates, 0 nitrites and 0.10 ammonia.
I think the ammonia could be because there's still a rotting shrimp in there?
Has this system cycled? I just don't know.
I would certainly appreciate your thoughts.
Not a blogger so forgive me if this is not in the right forum or post.
Thanks

SuperCoryD is offline   Reply With Quote