View Single Post
Unread 04/24/2012, 02:19 PM   #4
HaKs310
Forever Learning

Why not pick up a used NC24 or BC29 and retrofit a LED kit into it?

I was in the same as boat as you are now a couple weeks ago. Decided to build a small set up to hold me down until I move out to a larger place. Bought a used NC12 with stand off a fellow member for $120. As you know, LEDs were just taking off a year ago, after some research I found all the cool retrofits and LED controllers now out there.

Currently the tank is cycling with an upgraded return pump(NJ900) and a Hydor Nano 240. I have a RapidLED kit on my way which should be enough to handle any coral, anemone or clam I would want. And also let me dial in any color combination. I have the Typhon LED Controller to dim the LEDs down as well as provide sunrise/sunset and even cloud/storm options. Also have an order from inTank coming in with filtration media to last me for a year. All in, I'm about $600. Your total will obviously be a bit higher because the larger tank sizes you are looking at.

With the HQI you might have to worry about temp issues, bulb replacement and also the higher electricity bill.

The Inter. LED NC won't provide enough, higher cost and you are also stuck with the 50/50 ratio of LEDs.

Anyway, just thought I'd make your choice a bit more difficult to make. Welcome back to the hobby.