View Single Post
Unread 02/26/2010, 09:43 AM   #117
crvz
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
Hey crvz,

LEDs will do a good job of supplementation. What lamps will you be using for the MH? How much supplementation do you want? i.e. if you were to use blue T5's, how many would you use? Then we can do some math to get in the right neighborhood for LED supplementation.

At a rough guess, I'd assume you'll need a lot more than 8 - 12 LEDs total, if you're "fighting" against three 250w MH lamps, especially if the MHs are a low color temp. Rough guess, you'll probably want twice that count.
I've got radium 20kK bulbs, so I'm mostly planning on using the supplementation for morning/evening illumination. Not really for color. I don't suspect I'll be fighting for color, but in the past I've always run my "day" bulbs for only a few hours... say 5-7 at most. I'd like to have the LEDs to illuminate the tank for viewing during the day when the MH are not on, but not really act as a supplementing for color. I don't know if ~12 LEDs would illuminate the entire tank, so that's part of what I'm asking.

If I had done the T5 bulbs, I would have probably used all ATI aquablue bulbs, as I most preferred those in the past. Another way of looking at it is that I would like the LEDs to be in the 14kK to 20kK range.

Thanks for chiming in, look forward to your response.

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
crvz is offline   Reply With Quote