View Single Post
Unread 03/20/2014, 06:32 PM   #16
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks, 3Dreef. I'll see if I can find that study.

Basically, it sounds like you're suggesting I use less organic-rich substrate (my aged eco-complete), to avoid anoxic conditions (nearly zero oxygen) in the sand bed and eutrophic (nutrient-heavy) conditions too soon, rather than letting them build up naturally, correct?

I would expect anoxic conditions at the bottom of my sand bed, that I estimate will be around 7 inches deep. But I wouldn't expect that to kill my seagrass. Can you elaborate? I would imagine that in nature anoxic conditions exist at similar depths without it doing harm to the grasses.

That's a very good point about eutrophic conditions too quickly. Maybe I'm trying to give them too much of a good thing too soon? And I definitely don't want all that stuff seeping out into the water column right away and causing eutrophic water conditions! Algae-fest!

I'm hoping that my 4 layer substrate plan allows a wide gradient of oxygen levels through its depth, while keeping the really nutrient-rich area at the very bottom, and not up in the water column.

And just in case, my fuge with chaeto and ulva should help in that regard.

Thanks for your insights! More please!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote