View Single Post
Unread 07/22/2009, 09:27 AM   #1
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Clams and Nano/mini reef tanks?

I am planning to setup a nano reef tank (due to space restrictions etc). I also love clams and SPS corals and these my tank wll consist of mainly these and a few select fishes.

The problem is that I read in Giant Clams in the Sea and Aquarium by James Fatherree that he doesnt recommend keeping Tridacnid clams in such tanks. His main reasons are temp and salinity swings, as well as low nutrient level in such tanks due to limited fish stocking.

Now, I am a little disappointed at reading this. As part of my planned setup, I will include autotop-up system to deal with salinity issues due to evaporation and a chiller or fans to deal with temp issues. I will also keep a few fishes as well and will do wekly maintenance. I have kept clams before in a larger tank and so have many years of reefing experiance, just not with clams/sps and small tanks. Though I did have a LPS coral nano tank in the past.

The planned tank is the JBJ 28G HQI setup.

How many of you out there have been keeping clams in small tanks successfully for at least a year or more? I'd like to hear about your experiance please.

PS, an pictures of clams in your tank when new and current would be nice to see as well. Many thanks.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote