View Single Post
Unread 02/20/2011, 12:43 AM   #24
BluScrnOdeth
Darin Schmidt

I agree, they were pretty harsh on him. They acted as if he should have been documenting something for a science exp. when it was a freak accident that it happened. I think I'll try to breed mine once i find out how old they are and get an idea on how i want to do it. I think in the home aquarium situation, you dont have to do it like the clam farms, cycling water, etc, etc.

But i think that if you can stress the clam to begin the process, you can isolate them to get the sperm, then do the same to get the eggs, then (if you dont have a microscope) estimate how many eggs there are (i think they are slightly visible if i remember correctly what i read) and then put a couple drops of sperm in there. Even if all the eggs dont get fertilized, hopefully it will decrease the amount of polyspermia that will happen.

I might get a microscope though since they can be rather cheap and try to make better estimates that way on how much sperm and egg content there is.

But first thing is first, age of clams. Because if i remember correctly (going off of several months ago of reading) They have to be 2 to develop sperm and 4 to develop eggs. I'll have to read that manual and see what it says tomorrow while im at work.

BluScrnOdeth is offline   Reply With Quote