View Single Post
Unread 02/11/2018, 09:45 PM   #38
aussiemantis
Registered Member

have any of you guys ever been deep sea fishing before?
you anchor the boat in the deepest darkest reaches of the ocean and hold your position.
secondly, you turn on the high beams pointing straight down into the water and within mere minutes there are thousands of small prey baitfish drawn towards the safety of the light HOWEVER the large fish are attracted too, because they know it means food because the small fish will be drawn towards it.

light is not necessary for shrimp larvae, it doesn't trigger a feeding response because they are not active predators, but more scavengers and bottom feeders so the light is rather more of a safety beacon. if your light is on for 12h a day, the shrimp will spend literally all 12 hours mesmerised by the light or try to escape it, depending on species, this will leave them no time to fan around for brine and they will just become stressed and die. it's something to do with light that leads to poor molting in larval shrimp and it just darn right weakens their exoskeleton being exposed to that much light, TRUST ME! when i was raising cleaners i got a blood shrimp to optimal size in under 50 days before it finally settled. the cue i used was introducing bait fish in a breeder basket and submerging it into the tank. i might try a fish with ick next time. i've only done this one a sizable scale once however, the other times i've tried, it was mainly to investigate possible settlement cues, so i've basically not cared about the health of the shrimp, as long as a few made it to adulthood i could have a good shot at trialling cues. so i feed them big gut loaded brine so they have stored energy and i experiment away
the most i have ever gotten to settle at once was 32 Lysmata Debelius out of a possible 100-200. The cue i used to get them to settle has not been shared yet and is the best cue i have so far. but i have sold the shrimp to fund some more research for myself. i have read a lot of free books but i want to buy some expensive bulky ones with actual information from real scientists that were trying to do exactly what i'm trying to do.
With the help of their knowledge and a new perspective on things i will try to crack 50% survival rate by the end of the year.

aussiemantis is offline   Reply With Quote