Thread: Which tripod?
View Single Post
Unread 11/02/2008, 09:54 AM   #17
BlueCorn
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by tgreene
I've used a Bogen 3011 base with a 3025 3-D head for the past 25 years. I also have a small ball head that I prefer to use on a monopod, but will sometimes use it on the 3011.

Being a former photo journalist, I've dragged this setup around with me everywhere, including the 2 years I lived in a tent and worked as a wilderness guide/photographer.

Just for fun, I recently priced the same rig on eBay, and the price is right on par with what I originally paid for it 25 years ago.

Quality is just that!

That's an excellent example of my rule of tripod selection. While that's a stable, inexpensive setup it weighs a ton. There isn't anything inherently wrong with that.

I do a lot of backpacking and hiking. The difference in weight between that rig and what I use means that I can carry an additional lens. For me it's worth the expense to go for a lighter kit. That's a personal choice, not a recommendation. I actually have an old set of 30*1 legs that I still use but they don't leave the house.

I also don't care for the 3D, pan/tilt head. Again that's personal choice but I don't know a single professional that prefers that over a quality ballhead.

Cheers

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
BlueCorn is offline   Reply With Quote