View Single Post
Unread 02/14/2016, 03:50 PM   #3108
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
By the way, for those trying the dirty method - anyone considered just adding Miracle Grow directly to the tank? I can't think of a faster way of getting organic N into the system.

It's what I feed my phyto.
Funny you should mention that...
This is what I picked up at home depot yesterday.

...the miracle grow is heavy P relative to other things, to go along with my KNO3 that I have already been adding.

However, I looked up the metals content on miracle grow , and there are several things present that give me pause.

Link http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/Fertilize...spx?pname=2099

I'll have to look more closely to do the math on what levels those would actually end up putting in my tank.

Regardless, I'm planning on using miracle grow, KNO3, the trisodium phosphate, a high P fish food, and a freshwater plant additive in small scale beaker tests to see how things go.
Some in combo with trace metals, some without.

What I hope to see, is what aspect of competition with large amounts of micro-life causes the dinos disappear.

I suspect (because it would align with lots of info in the thread) if I dose pure N or P or N+P without access to additional trace elements, that the dinos would disappear. But if I add trace elements then they'll continue to coexist with the micro-life.

OTOH, If the dinos disappear in the presence of heavy micro life with or without trace element additions, then that suggests something more direct like predation.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote