View Single Post
Unread 04/30/2008, 11:05 AM   #1
apex003
Registered Member

apex003's dual 40breeder adventure

Well, I've been working on a new system for a LONG time, gradually putting together the parts (and funds) to build a display/frag system. My nanos are busting at the seams, and I NEED some more space. Never kept a build thread before, so I thought I'd start one here. I look forward to your input/comments. This is my attempt a building an eventual TOTM. It will hopefully evolve into primarily SPS with some select LPS. Thanks and enjoy...

Here's the specs:

Display:
AGA 40B
65# fiji LR
40# aragonite sand
36" 2 x 150W Sunpod
2 x Tunze 6025 with high flow mod
black acrylic overflow
1" main drain
3/4" backup drain with 13" standpipe
2 x 3/4" loc-line returns

Frag/Sump tank:
AGA 40B
20" 150W Sunpod
bare bottom
Euro-reef RS80
Litermeter Water exchange module for ATO
Eheim 1260 return pump
Black acrylic bubble tower and dividers/baffles
2 x 150W Ebo Jager heaters
MJ1200 for circulation (for now)

The system is actually up and running now, but I'll start slow with the pics, because I didn't take many during the build:

Here's the back of the display:

- I painted the back glossy black with Krylon Fusion spraypaint (great stuff!) and drilled the bulkhead holes with dremel diamond bits. This wasn't fast, but very cheap and relatively easy.

- Stand is a very simple 2x4 design, painted black to match the tanks.

And here's the sump layout:

- I did most of the acrylic work myself. Water flows straight down from the drain into the bubble tower in the middle back, over the large divider to the skimmer on the front right, over the baffles to kill microbubbles, and into the return section. The large section on the left is for frags. I used weldon where acrylic meets acrylic and silicone where acrylic meets glass.

- How did I get acrylic overflows and dividers to stick in a glass tank you ask?
By painting the edges of acrylic that got siliconed to the glass with krylon fusion, you can get the silicone to adhere very well to the painted acrylic. I read this in passing on some forum about a year ago but haven't read much about people doing this. I tested it on a small scrap of acrylic and IT WORKS! Silicone peels right off unpainted acrylic, but the bond to the painted acrylic is very strong. Tell a friend...

More pics later...

apex003 is offline   Reply With Quote