View Single Post
Unread 12/15/2016, 11:11 PM   #73
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by organism View Post
This. Also I forget the name but there's an additive that kills them too, I think maybe Fluke tabs.

I wouldn't underestimate hydroids, they can eat your tank and sting hard enough to kill some corals. I had those same ones and it took 3 years to get them all.
So how did you eradicate the Hydroids after 3 years?

Would love to find out if there is an Additive, but I doubt it.
Whatever would kill a Hyrdriod would have to hurt the other corals. I assume this solution would be a treatment done outside of tank.

I had a rock that was removable, and a blow torch singe did it. They never grew back (at least on that rock).

I have been trying to contain them and GOT one of the Aptasia Zappers. It's an Eletrode you place in the tank with a Titanium tip. There is a transformer and it will zap/vapourize anything in the tank. I have controller some Palays, and Mushroom with it (Works like a charm). It literally vaporizes a hairy mushroom, paly, anything made of liquid and flesh. I am careful with Palys since they can release toxins, so I run carbon in the system when zapping, and fine net catch any vapourized gunk (since it floats to top).

This link below is a similar model. Mine cost only $49.
https://www.tbaquatics.com/algae-cle...majano-zapper/

I used the zapper on the hydroids, and it works, but they always come back in a few weeks since their roots are deep. But it helps contain any further spreading.

Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote