View Single Post
Unread 10/09/2016, 11:43 PM   #3997
enb141
Registered Member

Yeah, right now what I've found is that if you keep your system at low nutrients not very low, nitrates 0.25 and phosphates at 0.02 they they seem to gone. I also tried reducing the nitrates to 0 and *** soon as they are at 0 turn off the skimmer and let the nitrates rise, the same can be applied to phosphates, reduce them to 0 and then let them slowly rise.

Right now I'm turning un my skimmer when the nitrates rise for about 1ppm, then skimming back to 0.00 ppm of nitrates and turn off the skimmer. In other words your base point is 0.00pmm nitrates, turn off the skimmer, wait until they rise a little bit then turn on the skimmer for a few hours then turn it off.

In a different schedule I'm working for the phosphates so for example if I turn on the skimmer between 10PM to 2AM and running the chaeto lights just 20 minutes in the mourning and 20 minutes before the sunset. This seems to keep them busy, at least they are in control and the affected corals are starting to recover.

I also checked the high alkalinity trick but it doesn't seems to be a solution in all cases. In my case if I let the nitrates to rise above 1ppm they start to appear so with no way to rise the nitrates I can't also rise the alkalinity.

So my current findings seems to be tank dependent, in some tanks you can rise your nitrates at very high levels and this helps to kill them, but in my case I just need to rise them a little bit.

Keeping so low nitrates is very difficult so what I'm doing is check the glass, if the glass starts to grow brown stuffs I run the skimmer for a few hours to make them fade.

enb141 is offline   Reply With Quote