View Single Post
Unread 12/07/2014, 12:05 PM   #1
jroovers
Registered Member

Talking 45G Shallow Rimless Peninsula Aquacultured SPS Reef

Recently moved and have put a lot of thought into my future reefing plans. I was going to refurb my 120G tank and set it back up. My basement however doesn't have any obvious spots for a laundry tub and drain, and was going to be a lot of work to prepare for a large volume of water. So I'm selling my 120.

I acquired a beauty of a tank from Tyler aka Teebone110 who had it set up as a frag tank, but he's a bit pre-occupied with his 210 gallon build at the moment lol.

Hence the new build. 45 gallon rimless tank, with external overflow. Dimensions are 36" by 24" by 12". Big enough to keep me interested, but not overwhelming, hopefully the best balance between family and reefing.

The goal of this tank is to grow an aquacultured SPS reef solely from frags sourced from other hobbyists. I want to minimize the impact of this reef, so no wild or mari-cultured frags or colonies. Only frags that have been taken from corals in other captive reefs. Where possible, I would also like to source my fish from other reefers who are getting out or who want to move in a different direction fish wise.

Equipment:

250w MH DE Pendant with Phoenix 14K bulb
Supplemental RB Cree LEDs (salvaged from my 120)
40 breeder sump
Eheim 1262 return (split to feed refuge)
2 x Jebao RWs for flow
AquaMaxx/JNS ConeS CO-2 skimmer
2-part dosing on BRS dosers
Reefkeeper Lite

My thoughts are to run this as KISS. Heavy skimming, strong lighting, decent load, no GFO or pellets unless necessary. No supplements, additives, etc. other than 2-part dosing.