View Single Post
Unread 02/24/2017, 07:05 PM   #17
IvanTheTerrible
Fish Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornbreaker View Post
Resurrecting an old thread.

Currently, I plan to have the opening in the wall at 61" long by 30" tall. The width allows some wiggle room to get the tank in and the 30" high should allow me front access. I'll overlap the tank with some trim work to make it look framed.

Depth wise, I expect it to sit on 25", with 4"-6" being the wall itself. Can someone help provide information on what I need to tell my builders on how to design the stand/inwall portion of this?

(I've read some of the DIY stand threads, but I'm not sure how to proportion it when the front part of the tank will be supported in the wall.)
6" is not much height for front access. How will the access work with it trimmed?

I built my stand first and then built the walls around it. This means the tank sits back in the wall about 4" and leaves a small ledge, which I will have tiled. If you want it truly flush, I would put the drywall on the stand and have surrounding walls built flush with the stand. You want the entire stand to be solid and evenly distributing the weight.

- Ivan

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking....
IvanTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote