View Single Post
Unread 04/05/2012, 03:26 PM   #16
uncleof6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikS View Post
And I can link to unreferenced Wiki pages, so what? About as valid as "I saw bigfoot" or "I saw a UFO". But carry on, I enjoy verbal "loose stools". I have no real interest in information from those who's only real claim to fame is the dogged determination to continue pontificating until the other party has given up.

Interesting, but that is not from an unreferenced wiki page. In fact here is the link:

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/s...ow-system.aspx

Utter rubbish. It may not be 100% silent but it's certainly proven to be reliable. It may not be a high flow application but that's what we deal with for the most part - low flow applications. A full siphon on a 1" drain is what? Something like 2000 gph? And how many are using amount of flow? Not many I'd wager..........hence the common use of a valve to maintain the siphon..........which leads to -

Constant adjustment? That's rubbish, if anything needs constant adjustment it's a full siphon system. The flow changes & the siphon needs adjustment to maintain the desired functionality. This occurs frequently. Clean the pump = more flow & needs adjustment. Pump gets dirty = less flow & needs adjustment. What happens in the former case? Oh damn, that's right water level rises until it hits.....wait for it....the air beind water secondary drain which is noisy. In the later case the drain loses siphon and becomes....oh damn....an air behind water drain.

An air behind water drain can run anywhere from little to a full siphon without any adjustment......the only repercussion being noise.

The single issue is having a single drain & while redundancy is always better there are occasions where it's just not feasable.
They physics (the actual science called Fluid Dynamics) say different.

Your post is inflammatory, however, it seems you want to take this topic into a debate, exactly on which topic you wish to debate, whether it be high vs low flow rate, or what is required to run a Durso Standpipe drain system silently and reliably, what the differences are between a siphon, and an open channel standpipe, or what the fluid dynamics say, I am uncertain. I don't mind at all if you disagree with me, however, it is hard to disagree with the physics. It is also rather difficult to argue with the person that invented the Durso Standpipe, and his statements concerning 1" standpipes.

The op wanted to know how to quiet the drain. You work with the physics, the problem is solved. You work against the physics, there will be some issues, demonstrated amply by the volume of threads concerning issues with durso standpipes, here on Reef Central.

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote