View Single Post
Unread 01/10/2019, 08:18 AM   #1
~RuSh~
Registered Member

BTA losing color?

Hey guys,

40 breeder, 3 bubble tip anemones, Viparspectra 165w LED at about 12 inches above tank.

I've had two of these anemones since the summer, June or so and they've been through a rough patch lets say. They are hardy and have been stable as of recent, meaning they open regularly, bubble up nicely and seem to have been growing in size - where as during the summer for a period they seemed to not always open up fully and didn't grow at all or shrank (I actually lost one completely after it split). The third BTA I have only put in the tank in the past month or so and it seems to be doing good as well, opening up nice, stretching out and bubbling up. That one seems to have decent color, which in comparison to my others got me really looking - looks like my original two are really lacking color. The tips seem to contain a nice pinkish color, but closer to the base of the tentacles are really light, almost transparent in some areas.

Am I bleaching these guys???

I've been running just one channel on this light since I can't seem to run CH1 and Ch2 at the same time - not sure if I just didn't set it up right or if my unit is defective, but for the past several months I've been running CH1 at about a 40 which is mostly a white spectrum, and I run it from about 4pm to about 10pm. I wouldn't think that would be too much on them but I guess I don't know.

I have been doing spot feeding of small pieces of shrimp about once every other week, which they have tolerated fine so far.

Water parameters were an issue this summer, that's why I lost the first one, but since I've got that back on track things have been better. Last test results were Amm - 0, Nitrite -0, Nitrate ~ 20, Salinity 1026, I use reef crystals, and haven't tested Ca or MG since I set up a long time ago since I have no corals but I could if need be.

Any help is appreciated guys. Thanks.