View Single Post
Unread 02/12/2015, 12:29 AM   #266
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

I am so excited to see your tank progress, nothing good happens too fast with SPS as you know but it looks like you are starting to pull out of it. I am Highly jealous of your smooth-skinned("deepwater") acro collection. I like the variety of forms that acropora come in but if I had to choose one, the smooth skin and tubular coralites are my favorite. What is your combination when all lights are on at "Noon" in the reef?(Which bulbs?what settings?)

As for your to do list, keep in mind you will not get rid of Bryopsis without manual removal or something that eats or pulls it out. It is weaker if it is in high flow areas, as in low flow areas it collects detritus and the rotting gunk feeds it. I don't know what to make of how long it takes to get glass dirty. I hear some people say that it takes a week or more between cleanings when their system is good, I have never come close to that. When I have nutrient spikes now(very small ones like after killing algae or fragging corals) the glass needs to be cleaned once a day or everything is a bit hazy, and from the side the pane looks brownish or greenish.
When its humming really well I can go 3 days before the haziness bugs me and the haze is usually brown in this case. Algae on the glass can become a good indicator for you once everything is dialed in.

Now that you are switched over to the pellets, I would be interested in what your flow through is in relation to your system volume. I have tweaked the flow through my reactor so that as of tonight's measurement, the flow is 156LPH or ~41GPH. That ended up being slower than my reference tank indicated, but it seems to be keeping things in check without cyano showing up on the sand.

I originally targeted the flow that Kryztoff(lunar) was using, he stated 500LPH through his reactor for a system that is 200Gallons. If I roughly cut that in half the 250LPH was way too much for my 120Gallon system, cyano started in on the sand like that. Anyhow, at least this gives you a reference point when you set your flow rate.

Continued good luck and thanks for the awesome update!

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote