View Single Post
Unread 09/12/2017, 03:45 PM   #3
dartier
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoriferaBob View Post
I'm sorry to hear of your situation. I too am experiencing this same problem. My brand new beautiful Maxima started to show signs of PM two days after introduce into my system.

I attempted a FW Dip and haven't yet noticed much improvement but it seems to have slowed the spread.

I was having a bit of trouble trying to match the ph of my RO water to my tank. Can you possibly explain step by step how you adjust your ph to match?

Also, what are the steps and directions for using Lugols for PM? I have never heard of this as a solution for PM and would love to know more.

Thank you and good luck to you.
The mantle on my Maxima is much better today. It is not fully extended (so still pinched by most definitions), but a lot better than it was yesterday. Yesterday 50% of it was severely pursed.

To prepare the dip I did the following.
  1. Floated a large (plastic) measuring bowl in the tank filled with RODI water with the handle hooked over the side of the tank. Because it is almost to the same level as the tank water, it just barely floated, while keeping the RODI and tank water separate.,
  2. Moved my PH probe and 1 of my temperature sensors into the dip bowl.
  3. Added 1 pipette of saturated kalkwasser (about 1 ML). Then I waited for the PH to stop climbing. I got lucky and it settled in close to the tank PH.
  4. Then I removed a cup of RODI water and heated it in the microwave. Added it back to the dip bowl and repeated with a smaller amount.
  5. Once the RODI was to temperature, I re-confirmed that the PH was good (it was with 0.02 units) and added my clam.
  6. I left him in for 15 minutes, swishing him around a few times in my hand to get the RODI to into his shell.
  7. Removed him after 15 minutes, returned him to the tank and turned off the lights for the day.

I plan on feeding him some phyto tonight to help in his recovery. I expect that subsequent dips may be required in the coming days/weeks, but I want to give him a chance to turn the corner if possible on his own. I expect that the time he spent in the LFS tank under mediocre lights was probably pretty stressful on him.

For the iodine dip, I will need to lookup the recommendations myself. You use tank water, and add a few drops of Lugol's to it. I will need to find the amount of water, the number of drops and the recommended dip time.

Dennis

Current Tank Info: 560G Miracles tank in progress, 80Frag Temporary
dartier is offline   Reply With Quote