View Single Post
Unread 12/18/2017, 01:59 PM   #11
njreefer02
Registered Member

Well the bacteria that was previously mentioned does not only harm horses but also kills many other fish. People using the triton method have not yet reported that issue. My ultimate goal is not 0 water changes, it's to give the horses close to ocean water parameters. Triton offers that. My approach is as follows. Little stock, I have three horses in a 75 gallon +20 g refugium, with chaetto, and lots of marine pure bio media. Also have a paired of mandarine fish that mate almost every night. The mandarine fish are trained to eat frozen mysis left over from the horses. And then I have a mated pair of skunk cleaner shrimp that mate and give me baby shrimps every two weeks. They clean what ever food is left over after the horses and the mandarines when they are done. I am not planing to stop water changes but to minimize them for now until I can verify the triton method works as expected. I am taking a control approach to this new method. I understand trying new things is not for everyone. I respect that. However that is not me. And I am willing to share the outcome of this endeavor. Progress would be hard in any field if not for people willing to try something new. I am monitoring the tank as to not let any issues sneak up on me. My husbandry is as always. My commitment to my horses is unchanged. And my goal is their wellbeing. As far as the cost of the ICP water testing, you are not suppose to send water test often. They can be weeks and months apart. Basic test for salinity, alkalinity, ph etc should still be perform regularly with traditional testing. Also i am still using filter sucks when I see too many large particles floating around.

njreefer02 is offline   Reply With Quote