View Single Post
Unread 09/11/2017, 07:39 PM   #1
dartier
Registered Member

Gah, bought a Maxima with pinched mantle

I should have known better when I was in the local chain LFS to not take a chance on their livestock. There was a metallic blue maxima (about 4-5" across) that was on sale. He was laying his side, so I could not quite see if his mantle was fully extended. Long story short, he appears to have a pinched mantle extending half way along his mantle on both sides. I have been waiting patiently to see if he would open up fully since Saturday. Today the mantle did not look any better, if anything worse, so I decided to try a FW dip. Nothing to lose at this point as he is a goner if it does not correct soon.

I have never done a FW dip, and frankly the concept of putting a saltwater creature in FW makes me feel a bit unsettled. I matched the temperature and PH of the FW before doing the dip. I left him in for 15 minutes. I turned my lights off right after, so will have to wait until tomorrow to see how he fared.

I just ordered some Lugol's online and will have that on hand for future (an iodine dip is supposed to be less stressful on the clam).

Fingers crossed.

Dennis

Current Tank Info: 560G Miracles tank in progress, 80Frag Temporary
dartier is offline   Reply With Quote