View Single Post
Unread 10/14/2007, 12:41 AM   #22
hahnmeister
Moved On

You can adjust them with just the LEDs that they have is what they mean. The white LED's are dominant in the blue spectrum (alot like an Aquablue/actinic white T5), with less green, and little to no yellow-red. The blue 450-460nm LED's are just that, and same for the 420nm actinics. They have added some green LED's to suppliment this spectrum which is otherwise lacking, and I wonder how long until some 3000Kish or Red LED's are worked in? Recent tests in Germany have shown that althoug corals seem to benefit from blue light more than other spectrums as far as growth is concerned, I will cite all the pigmentation prolems that lights that are dominant in blue can create. I have a buddy who used to run his tank with nothing but radiums and VHO actinics. I convinced him to go with Ushio 14,000Ks and supplimental blue+ T5s, and you wouldnt believe how the corals colored in. Previously, there were corals that were blue/purple because there was no other choice... gold tip and red corals that were purple and blue. After the switch... I couldnt believe all the choice corals he had collected all that time and nobody would ever have known. Golden colored acros with red tips had their colors back... pinks were pink... he could grow poscillipora again...something that he couldnt do before with all that blue for some reason. Dana Riddle cites in his review the huge dominance of the blue spectrum in the Solaris as a major bonus... yet some German researchers would say the opposite, as light sources too dominant in blue have also been shown to cause photoinhibition easier than 'fuller spectrum' sources.

hahnmeister is offline   Reply With Quote