View Single Post
Unread 11/27/2017, 11:32 AM   #974
soulpatch
Registered Member

Have a few things on this quick update.

First a few people have been pinging me about the spectrapure ATO pump for their calcium reactor like I have it set up for. The unit works great and is highly adjustable. I have it set for to be on for roughly 12 seconds every 20 seconds. So it has an 8 second period that it is not running. I can set the pump speed up or down as well though right now I am holding steady at roughly 50 ml/min I believe keeping my tank at 8.3.

I have had it running since it came out and have been very happy overall. I was concerned slightly with the plastic rollers btut hey have been holding up great thus far. I went in expecting them to be a 12 month wear item but am currently looking at 18 to 24 months and perhaps longer. Very impressed.

Now for the bad news. Seems I have blown a WAV pump. I was messing with the tank yesterday and noticed my WAVs were off. I cycled power and nothing. Following Neptune's troubleshooting I was able to get one firing again but the other will short out the 1link when plugged in. I am ****ed about this whole things for a few reasons....

1. Main reason I bought the WAVs was to be notified should issues like this occur. What good is the integration if it does not work?

2. Pump is less then 2 years old and now I am looking at repalcing a $200 pump. My Jabeos have lasted longer... NOT HAPPY!!!!

3. Such a limited warranty. One would think paying a premium would net a longer warranty then buying a Jabeo butt hat is not the case. I know I knew this going in but one also expects better durability. I am not only one with issues with the WAVs either as a quick search will note.

4. Flow....I know they claim 4000 GPH through these pumps but no way in heck do I get that. I find them very underpowered for the cost. I have had to suppliment with Jabeos in my tank and was already looking to potentially replace them due to this.

So now I am at a cross roads. I am hopeful that Neptune will RMA and fix the pump for me but I am unsure if it will be on my dime and how much. I can go this route and have it fixed OR go with another brand of pumps. Seeing as how it is the holiday I can not justify swapping out my other WAV and dropping nearly a grand on pumps.

I am contemplating getting a coralbox QP16 for now to tide me over. It is half the cost of another WAV if I need to purchase a new one and my other jabeo products have been very reliable with frequent cleanings.

Also thinking of grabbing a gyre and throwing that on there for now. If I got the new style yes I would spend more then replacing the WAV but I can cheaply add a second pump next year and sell my WAV and 1Link modules.

Thinking right now is to likely grab the QP16 as it is all of 90 bucks and circle back to this all next year after the holiday season and my disney trip in May

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote