View Single Post
Unread 07/09/2017, 01:09 PM   #1
studboy36
Registered Member

Proper Skimmer Size For A Five Foot Tank

Hi Scott,

I've been in the process of collection(buying) equipment for a 100 gallon aquarium. At this point I have everything I need except the tank and stand. I've decided to increase the size of the aquarium to a Reefer 625XXl which is approximately 165 gallons or a custom SCA aquarium at a 187 gallons. Both tanks are only 60" long as that's all I have space for, but I can go deeper which is why the SCA would be 60" x 30" x 24".

I originally bought a Reef Octopus 150ext skimmer with it's associated neck cleaner for the 100, but this will probably be to small for a larger more heavily stocked aquarium. Since I only have a 60" length to work with the skimmer must be compact and sit inside the sump with a automatic Zeovit reactor in the same sump chamber since space will be at a premium inside the cabinet stand.

All this revision started when I sat down last night and made up my stock list of fish for my aquarium. The stock list is completely fluid, so animals can be added or subtracted from it depending on space requirements. The fish will be introduced from the most peaceful/smallest ones first so they have a chance to establish themselves moving up to larger semi-aggressive then aggressive territorial fish last.

The sump that I bought may be adequate for either of the larger tanks, but now I'm thinking that I might want to replace it with an elite aquatics sump so I can completely integrate the roller mat into it instead of outside of the sump. Again I really need to maximize space inside the stand. The two skimmers that I'm looking at are the Mini 160 or Mini 180.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Stocklist:

6 Yellowstriped Cardinalfish Peaceful
3 Pajama Cardinalfish Peaceful
1 Royal Gramma Peaceful
1 McCoskers Flasher Wrasse (Male) Peaceful
1 Bicolor Blenny Peaceful
1 Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse Peaceful
1 Moorish Idol Peaceful
1 Swales Swiss Guard Basslet Semi-Aggressive
1 Foxface Lo Peaceful
2 True Percula Clownfish Semi-Aggressive
1 Lyretail Anthias (Male) Semi-Aggressive