View Single Post
Unread 06/20/2017, 11:38 AM   #92
Wally.B
Registered Member

Starting SLOW LIGHTING RAMP UP (Pars are certainly too low)

So with the P04 on the way down, and Nitrates safely under 5ppm,I am planning for a Slow Lighting Ramp up (starting this weekend, since new Frags acclimatized for over a week)

I have 3 ways to do this:

1) Lower Lights (From Current 14.5" down to 13")
2) Increase MH Bulb Output (From current 150W, to 175W, possibly up to 250W in the long run)
3) Increase Main Photo Period (from Current 6.5 hours to around 8 hours)

I know that I can do the increase with Confidence (if N&P is low) since I rented a PAR meter a while ago, and did extensive tests with the same lighting setup.

I would guess my tank "right now, bulbs at 150W" is running around (150 for Par Level) at the middle. (I posted earlier a detailed Table of every lighting Combo Readings)
Good enough to keep corals alive. Safe enough to not damage any transition newbie frags.

Those par numbers measured before with Bulbs at 250W (250-350 PAR) are ideal for the middle of the Tank where most of my SPS frags are.

But that Tank Chart above is when Lights were running at 250Wx2, and 2x T5.
Also at 12".
I will never go that aggressive for a very long time. (Unless corals really tell me they want it).

For now my Target is:

1) Lighting Power (MH 175W x2 , + 2 x T5) + (Plus the DIY LED [PAR??] )
2) Photo Period (around 7.5 hours)
3) Lighting Height (13" which gives good spread, and less heat to water surface)

All will be charted in a planned way to ensure my itchy hands don't overreact to any coral improvements (Color and Growth)
At least for me, I quickly forget that I lowered light 3 days ago, and might do it too quickly.

I need to be DISCIPLINED (for changes). I have a very bad habit, I need to break. Automation and Written plans are what I need to not hurt this Tank.
Having the Super Expensive Pink Cadillac SPS frag helps a bit too. (Too much as risk now, compared to $5,$10,Max $30 frags of the past)

Last edited by Wally.B; 06/20/2017 at 11:46 AM.
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote