View Single Post
Unread 04/01/2012, 08:20 AM   #8
BBraker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recty View Post
How can you prove that you killed them with the flash? Did they up and die right then?

Anyway, I'd like to hear more on your story/experience. It just sounds like an old wives tale to me, to be honest. I'm not the worlds best photographer and I'm certainly not the world's most prolific photographer, but I've done thousands of fish photos (30,000 shutter actuations on my 50D and at least half were fish photos for the store) and I've got about 15,000 on my 5DmkII, probably 25-30% of them are fish photos. I'd say half of all the store photos were flash photography before I had full frame and could have a useful high ISO. All I'm saying is I'm an experienced fish photographer and never in my years have I seen what you're saying happens happen.
Recty,

It was definately "cause and effect" - In the two cases that come to mind, the fish were in quarantine tanks, had finished their quarantine period and were not moved or handled prior to photographing them. One was a deepwater albomarginata grouper. It died 18 hours after an extended photo session - necropsy showed no issues. The other was an africanus angel. It died 6 hours after a series of photos. However, I found an undiagnosed nematode infection in that fish upon necropsy. So, while the flash certainly precipitated its death, would it have died later on anyway? - I don't know, but the fish had NO symptoms when I photographed it.

I've had multiple issues with the "Axelrod photo tank" method and stopped using that method 15+ years ago. Of course, not only can the fish not get away from the flash in those tanks, but you have to catch the fish up and wedge it tight with a piece of glass, adding to the stress!

You misunderstood - I've taken 10s of thousands of fish photos as well - and have also NEVER had a problem EXCEPT in photo tanks or in these quarantine cubicals. I no longer photograph fish (or inverts with eyes) if they are in a position where they cannot get away from the flash....like those "acclimation photos" that proud new fish owners are so prone to taking.

Bill

BBraker is offline   Reply With Quote