View Single Post
Unread 04/05/2013, 04:43 PM   #114
kissman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMagyar View Post
Your observations are in direct opposition to actual research that has been published so if you have any photo evidence to support this statement I would be most interested.

Also, how do you define LEDs as being "brighter". What meter did you use? Is it calibrated for LEDs? The problem is that the primary meter on the market is an Apogee, and that particular manufacturer in no way envisioned the advent of LEDs and has built their meters using a smoothing algorithm that anticipates sunlight or fluorescent light. LED light is not properly measured. Plus we have little knowledge on what happens when we flood corals with specific wavelengths instead of a broad spectrum of wavelengths.

My primary point here is that I feel like you are making comments with a sense of authority that are in no way yet explained in scientific literature. You may very well be right, but I remain doubtful.

Now as to the OP

My tank has varied from 12 to 5 dKH and the color did not change. I do believe that stable alkalinity is a key to colorful coral, but raising alkalinity above that which exists in nature does not change the color of coral of that I am sure.
Joe

P.S. My tank . . .

JP that is one of the nicest tanks I have ever seen! I come back and look at that tank atleast 4 times a week! Come set my tank up, lol! I know you were helping me on my thread and I appreciate it! Hope I can get mine that nice! In cycle now

kissman is offline   Reply With Quote