View Single Post
Unread 09/24/2015, 12:17 PM   #1938
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Update! Not that anybody reads these loooooong messages, but it keeps me organized.

Mass confusion reigns. I got the microscope. The yellow sludge on my glass which was id'd by pros as dinos doesn't seem to contain *any* life. That implies it's bacterial, too small to see with my little scope. Dinos do like to live in a bacterial sludge, but I should see some cells. I suspect user error.

Looking at filter pads, zomg! Ostreopsis ovata very clearly. BUT also some much smaller very suspicious brown, round cells. (And a virtual carnival of microcritters, including some kind of amoeba which was happily eating everything else. Very cool). Could I have several types of dinos? Is this why I'm having so much trouble getting rid of the stupid things?

Don't know if I mentioned it here, but I dosed nitrate in my tank to 3ppm with potassium nitrate. 3 days later- green algae on the glass! Very exciting as this is literally the first time I've had green algae of any sort in the tank. The algae has persisted without further additions of KNO3.

Ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote