View Single Post
Unread 03/26/2013, 02:21 PM   #11
snake42490
Registered Member

Another thing to note, the samples we took were just infested with Velvet to the point we had to keep diluting the sample just so we could get individual parasites to show up instead of being clumped together. There were a few crypt parasites as well, but VERY FEW. Every bit of information I have read says that ich is buried too deep to ever be affected by freshwater dips etc. NOW--- I'm not sure if maybe there were just a few ich parasites on the slim coat and that the h202 simply removed them leaving some other parasites deeper inside. All I can tell you is after the h202 30 minute dip. we took roughly another 30 samples of all the fish and couldn't find 1 parasite.

I know I am by no means expert at this stuff, but we definitely found out some interesting stuff in the lab I actually just got an ich infested fish from pet co just to try the solution with again. I will try and take more pictures.

ALSO-- if any of you guys have access to microscope.. you really should start physically checking your fish for parasites.. It is so easy, I know they are very expensive, but if you would have access to a school or lab or know someone in school you could have them look. Ich and Velvet can be seen at 40 X They are exact same size and shape, except ich tended to move around on the host and was clear in color. They are overall round and pear shaped. Velvet on the other hand didn't move on the samples. It was clearly alive, but didn't move. It also looks almost black / dark brown. It could easily be confused by shape, but definitely not by color.

***And to mention- this part bothered me a lot***

I had a pair of clowns that I have QT for 8 weeks now, they are healthy as can be. They also had some velvet on them. Scary because I was going to put them into my tank! Little did I know, they probably had partial immunity to the parasite.

snake42490 is offline   Reply With Quote