View Single Post
Unread 11/19/2017, 06:21 PM   #175
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
Hey Mike, How is your pax bellum arid reactor working out? Is maintenance easy or a pia? Does PO4 creep up for while after you harvest the cheato? Does it really pull down PO4 effectively? Looking for pros and cons. Thanks
Here's my experience with the arid reactor. I started off with a golf ball size amount of chaeto. It grew a little bit to maybe a soft ball size in month. Since then, it hasn't really grown anymore. I tried several different photo periods from 8, 12 and 18 hours a day. Still, no more growth. I get some hair algae growing in the reactor also and it grows on the chaeto also.

Maintenance is not bad since I have it in a open location. I did move the dastaco and arid around a bit to make getting to the arid more convenient. I don't clean it often as I don't see much in the way of growth but when I do, I simply remove the led bar, remove the top and into a 5 gallon bucket. I rinse everything off when a hose and a final rinse with RODI. Rinse the chaeto and replace.

My tank has very low nutrients so I'm not sure if it's due to the arid or other means. I tested no3 and po4 today and results were no3=1 and po4=.02, tested with salifert and hanna ulr. I'm going to dose the provided nitrate solution to try and bring up nitrates a bit. I'm not really sure I even need the arid reactor on this system to be honest.

It's crazy because I have close to 50 or just a little over 50 fish, about 8 tangs, some fairly large. I feed the fish 2-3 times a day with 6-8 cubes of frozen each feeding. If I feed from a flat pack, I break off big chunks of food, I think this tank gets fed a lot but it still has low nutrients.

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote