View Single Post
Unread 03/21/2017, 10:50 PM   #4168
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweist View Post
No argument here about periphyton being there. I know it can and will suck up nutrients.

So then you think we just have to feed until the things in our tanks that suck up nutrients can't suck up any more and then green hair algae will start to apear?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I don't think so. It's not about the other parts of the tank absorbing nutrients. It's the dinos being able to outcompete in a specific chemistry and regions of the tank.

Most people cannot keep algae out of their tanks. It takes an imbalance for dinos to take over. The remedy is to back up and add enough nutrients, light, and flow to get algae back in the game. It's not about saturating the tank to the point that there's something left over for the algae. If dinos are present, they will simply consume and grow faster, releasing toxins and killing everything.

Either N, or P or both are too low. Flow is too low. or the algae-friendly zones aren't getting enough light... or a combination of those.

I still think that there are some elements that are more friendly to algae.. Iron? Zinc?

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote