Thread: petco
View Single Post
Unread 03/01/2012, 03:07 AM   #240
Fishfirst
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS Samurai View Post
@ Fishfirst, no a fish's life or rather I should say it's death on the reef is quite different than that in your aquarium, because it is fulfilling its role in the ecosystem by contributing to the food chain. Whether it is keeping another species in check or by sustaining another animal by being it's latest meal. We are not omnipotent, so there is no such thing as replicating a "proper" environment. "Acceptable" yes, "proper" no. We simply try and keep an animal healthy and alive for as long as possible, but eventually the stasis of our aquariums will falter, whether to human error or mechanical failures. We shouldn't speak as if we're doing the animal kingdom a favor. You're obviously not keeping a reef to further marine biology or to advance modern medicine. The fact is we've removed an animal from its natural habitat solely for the gratification watching it swim back and forth in our living room gives us.

@ Tin_Whistler. Yes, but keeping a fish in your aquarium guarantees it will die in your custody. There is nothing false nor misconstrued about that. There is no point to prove, it's just a fact. The difference is in the wild a fish's life and death contributes to the wellbeing of nature. In your aquarium a fish just contributes to appeasing your fascination. It is the reality of this hobby.

Here's a suggestion. If you notice something that isn't working to keep fish healthy why don't you try working hand and hand with the culprit to resolve the problem. Share knowledge. Bashing companies or individuals does nothing to advocate responsible reefkeeping.
I take a bit of offense by your assumption that I am mearly just watching a fish swim back and forth. That wouldn't be the goal for me nor any truly serious hobbiest (although maybe it is enough for you). I'm a professional in this industry and I have professional goals (I have been involved in several breeding projects as well as my own and some customers of mine)

You make a valid point in your last comment... however I tried the "hand in hand" route for a year and a half with this "company" and got nothing but road blocks from corporate. So excuse my "bashing" but a company that nearly made me get rid of all of my tanks and a feeling of hopelessness for the hobby gives me a sour taste in my mouth. otherwise congrats on being apart of a company that considers anything under 30% fish loss acceptible i guess if you feel thats good enough I can't stop you from feeling that.

Current Tank Info: Over 40,000 gallons of saltwater
Fishfirst is offline   Reply With Quote