View Single Post
Unread 09/19/2018, 05:06 AM   #6
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I've been using both in tandem for years so that I can answer questions about the validity/accuracy of API test kits with actual hands on experience vs simply stating that a widely used test kit is just "crappy" like others that seem to just regurgitate the myths of others..
I'm not validating the well known kits.. I'm validating the API...

If the questions/concerns are over the accuracy of expired or near expired API test kits then quite frankly that puts me as more experienced than yourself to answer this question

Not regurgitating anything, used API for years, years ago as that was all that was available. Notice I did say they work, just not very accurate. My problem with the API kit(specifically the nitrate kit) it starts at 0 and the first point is 5ppm. Very hard to tell the difference in color and just not accurate enough for my needs.

Most reefers keep nitrates under 5ppm. What good would the API kit be if I keep my nitrates around 1 to 2 ppm?

And I would agree with you that even though API kits are expired, they still work just fine. Recently used an API ammonia kit I had to cycle a tank that was 2 years expired and read the exact same numbers as brand new kit.

I will stand corrected as the way you typed it out it seemed as though you were validating a new kit with an expired one.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote