View Single Post
Unread 05/01/2015, 05:39 AM   #1015
Montireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post

I've done so many experiments and tests in my search for some kind of grip on Ostreopsis dinoflagellates that it makes my head spin.
I've documented most of them here for others to get ideas and knowledge from.

After years of research I think this is the end of the road for me.
This is such a complex problem it's solution is out of reach for hobbyists and individual scientists.

A group of dedicated and highly educated scientists with unlimited funds for a few years could perhaps get some useful results.
Until that happens there are a couple of options.

1. Live with it.
2. Dump ALL your livestock and start again.
I fully agree.

But....
Let's suppose you choose option 2 and start over. Figure out you get a single ostreopsis cell some weeks later, a hitchhiker with a fish, coral or even a snail. That single ostreopsis cell would quickly thrive in a non mature system rapidly causing a bloom and ruining everything again.

I think that the key is biodiversity and matureness. These are the best weapons agains an eventual dino incursion in our tanks.

As an example of this: I have a eight months 600 gal system with almost no rock nor sand (a propagation ULNS) and a 150 old and full of rock and sand system with all kind of corals and a few small algae patches; in this system I run an underrated small skimmer while in the 600 gal system I run a huge skimmer rated for more than 1.000 gals of water.
Both systems got infected almost at the same time, the mature one with the small skimmer got cleaned in a few weeks and never watch a new bloom, but on the big pristine system with low biodiversity and a huge skimmer I have had five ostreopsis blooms and the problem has lasted for almost six months.

Montireef is offline   Reply With Quote