View Single Post
Unread 09/05/2017, 07:26 AM   #28
rvitko
RC Sponsor

My experience with cyano is that lighting spectrum is a big culprit, I have seen it only grow in areas getting direct sunlight. I have also found low flow and low oxygen levels can contribute, usually with cyano I treat with hydrogen peroxide, 1 tsp per 50 gallons per day, this seems to defeat it within 2 weeks though it may come back if the underlying cause is not resolved, lights off for 1 day will accelerate the results. I have learned dosing hydrogen peroxide is controversial but I have never had any issues, there is some discussion it can cause a toxic byproduct with iodine and bromine in the tank. I believe the Care Bacter may help, primarily by decomposing detritus it may be feeding on or that is lowering the redox and dissolved oxygen. Carbon dosing does seem to aggravate existing cyano blooms in my experience, I have some in my DSB visible on the sides though it below the surface and I have been playing with Vitamin C dosing lately and after a dose it pops up on the sand bed top.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote