Thread: Then and NOW
View Single Post
Unread 11/07/2017, 08:53 PM   #38
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinfallz View Post
Martin wrote that book 50 years ago <<<< 1st print 1989, that makes it 28 years ago.

In Sprung & Delbeek Volume 3, “denitrification and nitrification can happen in close proximity of each other <<<< yes, that is why live rock is practicle, because it has the ability to do all three, unlike bioballs, or Marine Pure for example.

I agree about live rock being a poor de-nitrification method <<<< noted

but what does that have to do with this discussion <<<< you have removed your most effective method of inorganic nutrient removal - macro algae fuge, as stated in your OP. I thought my queeries were relevant. Apologies if I have mis-interpreted what you wanted to discuss.

Moe's book is certainly still relevant, and to finish, I'll just quote from his book: - "Denitrification bacteria are also present in the deep crevices and pores of the rock, but assuming the tank contains a fair number of animals, the denitrification capacity of the bacteria in the rock will not take the place of active algae growth and a properly designed and functioning denitrification filter device."

I'll look forward to your updates on sponge & filter feeder progression & effectiveness.
Good luck.
A basketball size of macro in my refugium is not my most efficient inorganic nutrient removal. The large coral biomasses in my tank are my most efficient inorganic nutrients and organic nutrient removers.

Considering Ken Felderman research showing 75% removal of DOC generated by tank inhabitants is consumed by tank inhabitants, I would think that both organic and inorganic nutrients are required to produce DOC. What is consuming organic and inorganic nutrients to produce DOC?

I shall play Sherlock Holmes and say, “It’s elementary my dear Watson”.
The biological filter, including coral, will consume both organic and inorganic nutrients. If excess nutrients, biological filter responds with more algae growth with a corresponding growth in snails and herbivores. Everyone of these components have assimilated organic and inorganic nutrients into their biomass.
That sounds like natural filtration and multiple food webs.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote