View Single Post
Unread 11/10/2017, 08:43 AM   #277
Timfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsea View Post
. . . Here is a Orange Encrusting Sponge that looks red to me. What kind of DOC does it eat? . . .
I wish we knew that answer to that! (Maybe Steve has some thoughts?) As a group sponges are going to be just like stoney corals and soft corals - some do well in our systems but most are still beyond our ability to keep because we still do not know the specifics of their husbandry. And I suspect it's likely a lot of sponges eat something else besides or in addition to DOC. De Goeij showed certain cryptic sponges in his thesis removed bacterioplankton from the water, what if these are "omnivorus" and some sponge species need specific types of bacterioplankton or DOC?. Just like we can't keep a lot of Acro species because we don't know enough to replicate their environment most of the sponge species are still beyond our reach.

Quote:
Tim,
I think I may be getting ill. This stuff is beginning to make sense and I am enjoying immersion into it.

Quote:
. . . The beautiful Chilli Coral which I received three days ago is in shock. . . .
Sorry to hear about that! Chilli's are still beyond our reach, it's not one I know any one has been able to grow and frag.