View Single Post
Unread 09/12/2007, 12:33 PM   #15
MammothReefer
Registered Member

Ah...a goat dammit, I used a pig no wonder..but in all seriousness I to am experiencing very slow growth. My tank is a year old now, and I look @ some of the growth threads on here, and i'm getting less growth over the course of the year the some people do in a few months.

I'm struggling to figure out what the cause of it may be.. My parameters are all fine, yet something is amiss. I'm tempted to switch from 400w 20k XM's to 10ks but I have seen a number of tanks with excellent growth using the same lighting combo as me so I don't think this is the issue. I'm kinda leaning towards my leathers, yet I would think my weekly 10% water change habit, in combination with my water volume, would negative the majority of effect they would have.

I run carbon 24/7, ROWA, I feed light (1 cube per day cyclops a few times a week)

My Parameters are as follows

Salinity 1.026
Temp 79.5-81.0
Calcium recently crept up to 490 or so..which means to me my corals aren't using the calcium available to them
Ph 8.15-8.25
Alk - Unknown but I believe if I had ALK issus my Ph would be off.
Magnesium 1420-1440
Silicate 0
Phosphates 0 (when last tested)
Nitrite and Nitrate haven't tested in ages but I have no reason to believe there is any present in my system.

Skimmer wise I'm running a BM250, and just recently added a second skimmer back on the system w/ozone.

Other thoughts may include my light period as I only run my halides for 5.5 hours a day, while my t5s run for around 10 hours..yet I don't believe this to be the issue.

Current Tank Info: 105 Peninsula
MammothReefer is offline   Reply With Quote