View Single Post
Unread 09/11/2017, 02:11 PM   #1
traumamed
Registered Member

Irma tank crash, looking for help to minimize losses!

Hi all,

I live in southwest FL and am working on mopping up the aftermath around my place today. I have (or had, maybe) a 220 gal mixed reef. Long and the short of it is that the tank lost power for 8-12 hrs yesterday. I originally had a plan in place to keep the tank aerated until I could get my generator running, but that involved me staying in the house and I had to leave unexpectedly due to a last-minute increase in storm surge risk. Well, the storm surge did not materialize thankfully, but when I got back last night I had the following losses:

- 6" sailfin tang
- 4" yellow tang
- 4" hippo tang
- 3" coral beauty angel
- 5" foxface
- 3" foxface
- 2" hawkish
- 4" blue throat trigger (presumed)
- 3x lyretail anthias, 4x other smaller fish
- several (but not all) inverts

Amazingly, the coral doesn't look too bad today. Zoas, palys, and softies are open. SPS including several species of acro, monti, and pocillopora seem mostly ok except for some bleached tips on a couple pieces. LPS is all open and seems happy enough.

Water temp did not spike or drop, it was just a flow/oxygenation issue.

Obviously I have removed all dead livestock I have been able to find, but a few small fish and inverts remain. A 6" Naso tang, clown pair, and a few chromis survived.

So here are my questions.

1. When will I know if I'm out the danger zone on SPS and LPS going down the RTN road?

2. I currently dose pretty high amounts of Ca and alk to keep up with SPS demand. I also dose 25 mL daily of vodka/vinegar mix, and small amounts of Mg. Given my huge livestock losses and the shock to the tank, what, if anything, do I need to adjust on my dosing right away?

By the way, I realize a large water change is in order but anything more than 5-10 gallons is just not going to be feasible for probably 4-7 days.

TL, DR: power outage from Irma crashed my fish population. What can I do to minimize coral losses, particularly with regard to adjusting dosing regimen?

traumamed is offline   Reply With Quote