View Single Post
Unread 02/27/2007, 03:23 PM   #2
aharrow
Registered Member

The biggest sump you can take would be ideal. It increases the volume of water you have running in your system. The bigger sump also allows for greater flexibility as you progress in the saltwater hobby. I went from a FOWLR to a full reef and I had to upgrade my sump with my new tank because of the added equipment for a reef setup.

Personally I prefer everything I can get into the sump so you can't see it in the main display. So I put my heaters, skimmer, calcium reactor, phosban reactor, etc all in the sump. Therefore no equipment is seen in the main display. This is just my personal preference but it also gives minimal intrusion on the inhabitants if you have to change out heaters or skimmers, etc. Also alot of the equipment is made for a sump so you quickly run out of space.

On the subject of the flow rate, it seems to be what type of corals you want to keep and their requirements for flow rates. I think most people suggest a 10x turnover rate per gallon.

Hope this helps

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission"

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon starphire custom tank, 3 zone benthic refugium system, royal exclusive alpha 250, Sfiligoi custom fixture t-5, LED combo
aharrow is offline   Reply With Quote