View Single Post
Unread 10/15/2018, 12:11 AM   #14
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
What works in nature is dilution. The ocean is big enough that the vast majority of ich theronts never encounter a fish and perish. No such luck in our aquariums. I'm all for biological controls - dusky wrasse for flatworms and pyramid snails as example - but I have seen no evidence, nor have read any credible claims, that a cleaner wrasse will help to control ich. Correlation is not causation. I'd hate to see people encouraged to buy cleaners when the vast majority will not survive.

If dilution was the way nature kept it in check why do so many fish come in sick i don’t know if you have ever been to a “wholesaler” in indonesia but you see the fish that come in and allot of them have parasites straight from the ocean

What happens in the ocean is there are many cleaners many different types and fish line up waiting to get cleaned or the cleaners travel with them cleaning the school and its a constant thing
Fish don’t die from parasites its when the fish scratches itself to rid the parasite it gets a infection and that infection eats away at the fish killing it

All my cleaners survive i don’t know what people are doing to kill them but the only time i lost a cleaner is when it jumped i have had cleaners for 5+ years and they keep my fish happy
They do get lazy sometimes because they are getting food but if a fish comes close to any of them they would start “cleaning”

I have seen first hand that these “cleaners” are being used to help alleviate the fish that go to them

OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote