View Single Post
Unread 01/21/2016, 02:01 PM   #2762
joti26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewilson83 View Post
Update from post #2369: I've been super busy with my new job and other things that I didn't get a chance to update everyone. The Dinos came back. After about 2 weeks they started to grow and spread. I've tried a few things the past few weeks and I think it's helping. They have not been growing. They have been dying but 100% elimination seems like a long way from now. I can say that I refuse to turn down my lighting. I have been adding my elements, amino, and feeding. I'm not going to allow anymore corals to die. I'm determined to kill this mess. I discovered a high powered microscope at my facility and I'm going to identify it. I'm pretty sure that it's the same mess everyone else is dealing with. I'm not as down as I was before, I'm more determined to get rid of it.
What I'm doing:
1st since my SPS have been fading, I'm dosing nitrates via Spectracide Stump Remover. Keeping my nitrates at 5ppm.
2nd since peroxide has been helping with some, I've been dosing that too. Cutting off my return pump so the water is only circulating inside the tanks and not going down to the skimmer.
3rdly I've been dosing Garlic. I felt that my fish were suffering so I decided to help there immune system by giving them more garlic in there food and running carbon. I saw on her that someone decided to dose so I said what the heck. Sure worth a try. So along with peroxide I've been dosing at night while cutting off the return pump. my Dinos have only been on rocks and frag plugs. Never on sand. I believe the Dinos are getting darker which seems like they are dying and maybe cyano was under them or waiting to sweep in. I'll keep you all posted.
Yes that was me with the garlic would be interested to see if you get the same result with them as I did under the microscope. Since I last posted mine has almost gone. I am continuing with the garlic in the food and the Kent Marine Garlic Extreme arrived today which can be added directly to the tank so am going to try and squidge the correct dose of 1ml per 10 gallons directly onto remaining Dino's. I haven't used the peroxide but did get some on standby. I have added pods, although can't seem to get the recommended benthic ones at all here in the UK. Did add a UV and did reduce lighting and covered the tank to stop any daylight at all as I did have a bit on the sand where even limited daylight hit the tank. This has been steadily decreasing over the past three days. But my one and only sp is starting to suffer everything else is doing fine. Got home tonight and absolutely none on the sand but some still hanging on to a Kenya tree, some macro algae in the main tank and frustratingly on the cheato in the sump. My coral goby is looking a bit better with just the garlic but have just got some NT labs anti bacterial but really reluctant to use it as it means no UV or any absorbent filter media for ten days. I hate using any chemicals in the tank but don't have a qt tank so the dilemma of the Dino's not being gone yet decisions, decisions! Save the fish or save the tank!

joti26 is offline   Reply With Quote