View Single Post
Unread 06/13/2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Postal
Registered Member

Postal's 40 Breeder / 25 Cube / 40 Breeder build

Ok, so first things first. This will be a slow process. So you have been warned.

I have a 9ft long wall in the house that has been just been begging for a tank. I didn't have the funds to purchase the 8' x 2' x 2' system that I initially wanted so I transformed that desire to this relatively unique (I think) idea.

The system will consist a 3 tanks plumbed together and running as one system. I will have a 40 Breeder on each side of a 25g cube. Each tank will have it's own distinct livestock that might not prosper as well if they were all in one tank.

The first 40 breeder will contain all zoas, palys, and LPS. A starry blenny, possum wrasse, and leopard wrasse that I currently have will call this tank home along with another small fish or two. Lighting for this tank will consist of 4 t5's in a retrofit kit.

The 25 cube will contain azoo corals only. I have a couple nice sun corals and a dendro currently and will hopefully find some other nice non-photosynthetic corals to add to the tank. The only fish in this tank will be 3-4 shrimpfish or some pipefish/seahorses. Lighting will be provided by 2-3 Stunner LED strips. By using the Stunner strips I am hoping to provide enough light to make the tank visually appealing, but not provide enough PAR for algae to grow.

The final 40 Breeder will contain my current pair of GSM clowns with a nice large carpet anemone when I can find one. The tank will also be filled with all types of macro algae to give it a planted tank feel while providing some nutrient export. No other livestock will be in this tank so it should act as a bit of a refugium as well.

So that is the plan. Please feel free to offer any tips, suggestions, or critiques.

Thanks

Postal is offline   Reply With Quote